Saturday, June 5, 2010

Blessid Union of Souls

Blessid Union of Souls is one of my all-time favorite bands. They've undergone some member changes over the year. Their first four albums were the best, my favorite being Walking off the Buzz, hands down. Eliot Sloan and Eddie Hedges both have done some solo work.

Walking off the Buzz: Download for $8.99


Genre: 90's rock
Sound: Eliot's got a little bit of the pop whine, but the music is distinctive and has some soul and roots flavor to it. Makes you want to sing along.
Writing: A lot of typical pop love songs, sometimes the point is sacrificed for rhyme, but the singles are usually very clever.

The Good: CP's harmonica playing!
The Bad: Half the songs have cliche lyrics. Most of the Perception and Close to the Edge albums.
The Unique: Their grammar, distinctive guitar, Eliot's singing, occasionally the powerful voice of Emosia


Home

If you're only going to buy one song: End of the World
If you're only going to buy three songs: End of the World, Nora, Home
Typical lyrics: "The lie in believe, I in deceive, the her in together, the we in the weather." (End of the World)

Blessid Union of Souls

If you're only going to buy one song: Scenes From a Coffee House
If you're only going to buy three songs: Scenes From a Coffee House, Humble Star, Jelly
Typical lyrics: "She becomes like jelly in my hands, jelly in my hands, jelly in my hands." (Jelly)

Walking Off the Buzz

If you're only going to buy one song: Stone Glass Window
If you're only going to buy three songs: Stone Glass Window, South Hampton Avenue, Last Day of My Life
Typical lyrics: "We live on South Hampton Avenue / We'll leave the welcome mat out for you / Now that you think you know who we are / How do you like us so far?" (South Hampton Avenue)

The Singles

If you're only going to buy one song: Standing at the Edge of the Earth
If you're only going to buy three songs: Hey Leonardo, Storybook Life, Standing at the Edge of the Earth
Typical lyrics: "She likes me for me / not because I sing like Pavorotti / or because I'm such a hottie *sigh* / I like her for her / not because she's hot like Cindy Crawford / She as got so much to offer." (Hey Leonardo)

Perception

If you're only going to buy one song: Redemption
If you're only going to buy three songs: Redemption, Let's Get Out of Here, Bittersweet Sublime
Typical lyrics: "I've seen the shadows of the corners of my mine / Now I can't hear the cry of my soul." (Redemption)

Close to the Edge

Total disappointment. While Back From the Dead is probably the best song BUoS has ever done, we have pretty much all of these tracks from previous albums.
If you're only going to buy one song: Back From the Dead

A Taster:





Personal Photo:


Me talking to Eliot, Tony, and Jeff in La Crosse, WI 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment